Interesting facts we learned on the tour:
- Fota house was owned by the Smith Barry family
- The house was originally a hunting lodge.
- There was a green door separating the servants quarters from the rest of the house so that the family or their guests didn’t have to see or hear the servants or smell any cooking.
- The windows on the servants side of the house were up high so that they couldn’t be seen by the family and also to prevent the servants from having a nice view.
- The main staircase was extra wide so that the ladies’ gowns could fit going up & down.
- The ‘Battle of the birds’ is a 400 year old painting hanging over the staircase.