- European Week of Sport - From the 24th to the 28th of September, Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh partook in European Week of Sport. During this week a lot of fun activities were organised. First, each class level played a game from a different country in Europe. Junior and Senior Infants played Lupa Mangia Frutta from Italy, 1st and 2nd class Continue Reading
- Cross Country - Well done to all our athletes who competed yesterday in the cross country races in Ballymacoda. They did us so proud with their participation, behaviour and effort... and it's always great to bring a few medals back too!! Thanks to the teachers involved who ran the trials, coached the athletes, sorted the bus and supervised Continue Reading
- Assembly May Awards - We had an action packed assembly on Monday. Children were once again recognised for all their hard work in school. We had children do a presentation about an Art project they completed with Carmel Creaner - thank you Carmel for giving your time to allow the children engage in this wonderful experience. Our City Sports Continue Reading
- Active Schools Week 2018 - Active Schools week 2018 is well underway at Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh! Take a look at some of the activities we've been getting up to. Penalty shoot out against Mr. Carney! Tag rugby about to get underway. 5th class taking a breather on our lovely new buddy benches. This week we have lots Continue Reading
- Park Run here we come! - A big thank you to Ms McCarthy and our 6th class helpers who organised some training runs for all the boys and girls who are looking forward to talking part in the very first Junior park run which will take place in Cobh. There was lots of excitement and everybody is looking forward to talking Continue Reading
- 3rd class tug of war blitz - A big well done to Ms. Allen’s third class, who took part in the Cork Primary Schools Tug of War blitz in Neptune Stadium on the 24th of May. The competition was organised and run by the Irish Tug of War Association with the help of Cork Sports Partnership. This initiative was hugely popular and Continue Reading
- Badminton club blitz - Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh's Badminton club attended the inaugural Cork Primary schools Badminton blitz which was on in Neptune stadium last Tuesday. The children enjoyed an action packed morning of activities and games. We cannot wait to practice these new skills in Badminton club on Thursdays!
- Sciath na Scol - Well done to the girl's Sciath na Scol camogie team on their hard work at training and in their matches this year. They had two great victories against St. Marys and Rathpeacon. We are very proud of how the girls represented their school. Maith sibh cailíní!
- Designing our new Active School Walk-Way! - Ms. Thompson's fifth class worked in groups to first map out the school grounds. They then designed and tested various routes throughout the grounds that would be suitable for use by all pupils as an active school walk-way. Ms. Halligan helped to pick out the winning design and this group then had to measure the length Continue Reading
- ‘Breathing Buddies’ - The Active Schools Committee have been working alongside the Health Promoting Schools Committee here in Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh. Both committees are striving together to promote a healthy, active and inclusive environment. Along with our wet day activities we have included breathing buddies and mindfulness activities into our daily brain breaks. Ms. Moynihan’s First Class Continue Reading
Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh (BSRAC) is committed to becoming an Active school for the benefit of all pupils, parents, teachers and the wider community. To help us achieve this aim and to demonstrate our commitment to the importance of physical activity for all we are endeavouring to achieve an Active School Flag. The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
To achieve our aim of promoting lifelong physical activity and to be recognised as active school we are focussing on improvements in three main areas:
- Physical Education (PE): The term physical education refers to activities taught as part of the curriculum within class time where the emphasis is on learning. Each and every child is entitled to a minimum of 60 minutes Physical Education every week. To read more about Physical Education in BSRAC click here
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is an all-encompassing term which can include physical education, sport or play and any other activity undertaken for enjoyment or health. Children need 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day to keep their bodies healthy. To read more about physical activity in BSRAC and the benefits of physical activity click here.
- Partnerships: Physical activity doesn’t stop at the school door and so it is important that parents and the local community play their part in ensuring that our students remain active long after the school bell has rung! To find out more about physical activity opportunities in Cobh click here
A teacher and pupil committee have been set up to help the whole school community to work towards improvements in these areas.
Teacher committee 2017-2018: Mr Clohessy, Ms O’Leary, Ms.Cregan, Ms.Falvey, Ms.O’Sullivan, Ms.O’Neill, Ms. Moynihan, Ms Sheehy and Ms. Murphy.
Pupil committee: Omar, Jodie, Alex, Cian (2nd) Adam F, Ella, Millie (3rd) Philip, Amelia, Tom(4th) Evan, Megan, Lara (5th) Adam O, Eve, Molly(6th)
To read more about each of the developments we have undertaken check out our Active School News section.
With the support of all pupils, teachers, parents and the local community we have no doubt that Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh can achieve great things and be recognised far and wide as an Active School! Mo Chumas Abú!