- Duathlon in BSRAC - The children in Rang a sé were involved in a new school initiative recently. In conjunction with Triathlon Ireland the school engaged in the Tri Heroes programme. This allowed the children to experience and learn all about the 3 disciplines involved in a triathlon. Over the course of a few weeks the children participated in Continue Reading
- Duathlon for Rang VI!! - All students of the Tri Heroes Programme will take part in their very first duathlon event in school tomorrow Wednesday 13th Dec between 3 - 3.30pm. We are delighted to invite you to come and cheer on the participants as they complete the different stages of the event. All are welcome!Well done to all the Continue Reading
- Triathlon Club - Triathlon Club held their second session this week. Today's session was bike handling skills, transitioning skills and practicing mounting and dismounting their bikes. As you can see by the photos, great fun was had by all. There was great skills shown by all! Thanks again to coach Jess for her expertise. Thumbs up all round! Continue Reading
- European School Sport Day - European School Sport Day took place in Ireland on Friday September 29th. In Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh the main activities undertaken were active stations in the hall. Each year group which contains over 90 students came together to be active in the school hall. Activities included, dice games, dancing, gymnastics activities, ball tasks and active Continue Reading
- Triathlon Club - Triathlon Club started in the school today. This club is offered to boys and girls in 6th class and will run for 4 weeks. It is part of the Tri Heroes Programme and the children get to engage in swimming, running and cycling activities. Todays session was running and as you can see by the Continue Reading
- European Week of Sport - This week is European Week of Sport and we have an exciting challenge and fun activities for all our classes to enjoy this year. The Run around Europe Challenge Each class will work together to run the distance from Dublin to a European capital city. 1 lap of our school yard/field/area marked out by the Continue Reading
Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh (BSRAC) is committed to becoming an Active school for the benefit of all pupils, parents, teachers and the wider community. To help us achieve this aim and to demonstrate our commitment to the importance of physical activity for all we are endeavouring to achieve an Active School Flag. The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
To achieve our aim of promoting lifelong physical activity and to be recognised as active school we are focussing on improvements in three main areas:
- Physical Education (PE): The term physical education refers to activities taught as part of the curriculum within class time where the emphasis is on learning. Each and every child is entitled to a minimum of 60 minutes Physical Education every week. To read more about Physical Education in BSRAC click here
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is an all-encompassing term which can include physical education, sport or play and any other activity undertaken for enjoyment or health. Children need 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day to keep their bodies healthy. To read more about physical activity in BSRAC and the benefits of physical activity click here.
- Partnerships: Physical activity doesn’t stop at the school door and so it is important that parents and the local community play their part in ensuring that our students remain active long after the school bell has rung! To find out more about physical activity opportunities in Cobh click here
A teacher and pupil committee have been set up to help the whole school community to work towards improvements in these areas.
Teacher committee 2017-2018: Mr Clohessy, Ms O’Leary, Ms.Cregan, Ms.Falvey, Ms.O’Sullivan and Ms.O’Neill, Ms. Moynihan, Ms Sheehy and Ms. Murphy.
Pupil committee: Adam F, Ella, Millie (3rd) Philip, Amelia, Tom(4th) Evan, Megan, Lara (5th) Adam O, Eve, Molly(6th)
To read more about each of the developments we have undertaken check out our Active School News section.
With the support of all pupils, teachers, parents and the local community we have no doubt that Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh can achieve great things and be recognised far and wide as an Active School! Mo Chumas Abú!