- Active School Homework- Delighted to share Active School Homework pictures!! Well done to all, hope you enjoyed the first of our Active School Homework initiative. "I went out with my old dog Beauty, for a nice run on the field." Chiara Lee out and about on his bike. Ellen went to her swimming lessons. Sonia and Sophie enjoy… Continue Reading
- Frank the Zumba teacher!- Frank is the Zumba teacher who came in to Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh to teach the senior end of the school Zumba lessons. He is kind and very energetic. He always played good music and he would start to dance and we would copy his moves. We found it a great way to clear our… Continue Reading
- Colin the tennis coach teaches fifth class!- Colin is the tennis coach from Rushbrooke Tennis Club who came to our school to teach tennis to fifth class. We learned lots of new skills, including forehand and backhand strokes as well as volleying. We also played lots of fun games, such as 'the secret spy game'. We played with lots of different coloured… Continue Reading
- 3rd class is going ‘swimmingly’- Ms. Cregan’s class is four weeks into swimming lessons and we absolutely love it! We are learning lots of new things like the dolphin swim. Our swimming coaches’ names are Andrea and Norrie. They are really good swimming teachers. We love going to the Coral Leisure Centre every Wednesday. Mr.Buckley's class will be the… Continue Reading
- Fundamental Movement Skills!- Look at our Junior Infants working on their Fundamental Movement Skills with Trevor! Continue Reading
- Badminton Bonanza- This year the badminton club has been a huge success. The membership is growing fast and we welcome lots of new friends in 2019. Nollaig shona dhaoibh go léir. Ms. Cunningham and Ms. Halligan Continue Reading
- Zumba- Our first session of Zumba has come to an end. The feedback from the students has been extremely positive: "Zumba was really fun- I didn't want it to end!" "Frank was amazing, energetic, funny, cool." "The best part was the dance off at the end!" "You should definitely try this out-it's the best." Thanks again… Continue Reading
- European Week of Sport- From the 24th to the 28th of September, Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh partook in European Week of Sport. During this week a lot of fun activities were organised. First, each class level played a game from a different country in Europe. Junior and Senior Infants played Lupa Mangia Frutta from Italy, 1st and 2nd class… Continue Reading
- Cross Country- Well done to all our athletes who competed yesterday in the cross country races in Ballymacoda. They did us so proud with their participation, behaviour and effort... and it's always great to bring a few medals back too!! Thanks to the teachers involved who ran the trials, coached the athletes, sorted the bus and supervised… Continue Reading
- Assembly May Awards- We had an action packed assembly on Monday. Children were once again recognised for all their hard work in school. We had children do a presentation about an Art project they completed with Carmel Creaner - thank you Carmel for giving your time to allow the children engage in this wonderful experience. Our City Sports… Continue Reading
Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh (BSRAC) is committed to becoming an Active school for the benefit of all pupils, parents, teachers and the wider community. To help us achieve this aim and to demonstrate our commitment to the importance of physical activity for all we are endeavouring to achieve an Active School Flag. The Active School Flag (ASF) is awarded to schools that strive to achieve a physically educated and physically active school community. The process aims to get more schools, more active, more often.
To achieve our aim of promoting lifelong physical activity and to be recognised as active school we are focussing on improvements in three main areas:
- Physical Education (PE): The term physical education refers to activities taught as part of the curriculum within class time where the emphasis is on learning. Each and every child is entitled to a minimum of 60 minutes Physical Education every week. To read more about Physical Education in BSRAC click here
- Physical Activity: Physical activity is an all-encompassing term which can include physical education, sport or play and any other activity undertaken for enjoyment or health. Children need 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day to keep their bodies healthy. To read more about physical activity in BSRAC and the benefits of physical activity click here.
- Partnerships: Physical activity doesn’t stop at the school door and so it is important that parents and the local community play their part in ensuring that our students remain active long after the school bell has rung! To find out more about physical activity opportunities in Cobh click here
A teacher and pupil committee have been set up to help the whole school community to work towards improvements in these areas.
Teacher committee 2017-2018: Mr Clohessy, Ms O’Leary, Ms.Cregan, Ms.Falvey, Ms.O’Sullivan, Ms.O’Neill, Ms. Moynihan, Ms Sheehy and Ms. Murphy.
Pupil committee: Omar, Jodie, Alex, Cian (2nd) Adam F, Ella, Millie (3rd) Philip, Amelia, Tom(4th) Evan, Megan, Lara (5th) Adam O, Eve, Molly(6th)
To read more about each of the developments we have undertaken check out our Active School News section.
With the support of all pupils, teachers, parents and the local community we have no doubt that Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh can achieve great things and be recognised far and wide as an Active School! Mo Chumas Abú!