Physical Activity in Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh
As part of our commitment to being an active school we are undertaking several initiatives to increase physical activity in Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh. Did you know that your child requires 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day? Accordingly we are adding in extra opportunities for pupils to be physically activity during the school day to play our part in helping every child reach a significant portion of this target every day.
- At break time we have zoned our school yard to allow children to engage in a variety of different activities. Zoning the yard creates more space and freedom for children to play.
- We have also introduced equipment on the yard in certain zones an attempt to increase the physical activity levels of pupils and also to provide them with additional opportunities to develop further fundamental movement skills (kicking, catching, throwing etc.). Examples of equipment we have used so far includes frisbees, foam javelins, balls, beanbags, agility ladders and skipping ropes. Access to the equipment is rotated and all pupils get equal opportunities. Our super active school pupils committee help set up and tidy away the equipment.
- Senior pupils now also have rotated access to the field when the weather allows. On the field pupils can use the equipment in the designated zones, use our fabulous running track to practice sprinting, use the track around the perimeter of the field to ‘Do your walking while you are talking’ or use the track around the perimeter of the field to practice their distance running.
- Teachers have access to a bank of classroom based physical activities to ensure we all remain active on rainy days.
- As a whole school we come together on the yard to complete 10 minutes of physical at 10.00 o clock on several days throughout the year. We are led wonderfully by our active school pupil committee members and Ms. O Neil!
- During different points in the year we also engage in numerous physical activities such as walks and dances and of course our active school week where we all complete the 60 minute challenge each day!
Check out some of the benefits of all this physical activity which are highlighted in the poster below! Also have a look at the suggestions which can help you and your child to be active outside of school and ensure every child meets their target!