As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Colourful windowsills on the way! - Pupils in Rang 2 continued their study of autumn by planting bulbs. They planted tall tulips, crocuses and hyacinths and are looking forward to a colourful display on their classroom windowsills in the spring Continue Reading
- Autumn Marble painting – Coiscéim - Today we tried a different way of painting. We used marbles to spread Autumn colours on a sheet. The kids had great fun creating their abstract pictures. Continue Reading
- Second Class Autumn Hunt - Second Class took advantage of the fine weather to explore the school grounds for signs of Autumn. They observed the autumn changes in the trees. They also enjoyed hunting for and identifying the seeds of each tree. Continue Reading
- Some highlights from this week! Tessellation and still life drawing in Ms. Thompson’s class - Continue Reading
- Exploring triangles and other 2D shapes in Ms. Thompson’s class! - Continue Reading
- Coisceim Autumn Trail - Mrs O'Sullivan's class (Coisceim) went on an Autumn trail in Fota Gardens. We met a tree surgeon who told us all about a climbing competition he was preparing for. Continue Reading
- New Digital Learning tools - Rang 6 got to use the new keyboards for our I-pads. They put them to great use in their groups preparing their History project about the Celts. Continue Reading
- Rand a Trí Triopolis (underwater city) Experiment - Continue Reading
- Abbvie visit Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh - Continue Reading
- Ms Thompson’s 5th Class Investigates Soil! - Ms Thompson class collected some samples of soil from different places, then tested and made observations on each soil sample. They then compared their findings in class! Continue Reading