As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Exploring solids, liquids & gases! - Ms. Thompson's class did a science experiment that proved water can be found in solid, liquid & gas form! We made predictions and analysed our findings! We questioned why our predictions didn't always work out as planned! We observed condensation, sublimation and evaporation take place. We also proved that water is the only liquid that Continue Reading
- Engineers in the Making - We were very lucky to have a visit from Mr Nowojewski (Natalia's Dad) an electric engineer into Rang IV to help us understand the skills needed to be an electrical engineer and to help us with our STEPS project. We had lots of fun with the devices he brought in as you can see from the Continue Reading
- Science Week - From the 12th to the 16th of November, the children in Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh became scientists as they partook in a week full of experiments for Science Week. On the final day, science stations were held in the hall. Each station had a different experiment and it was led by our 6th class pupils. Continue Reading
- Vex Robotics - WELCOME TO VEX ROBOTICS . Robotics involves building a robot and programming it to do different activities that you set. In Robotics you have different teams. For example, we have the building team and the design team who work closely together. We also have the PR team and the coding team. When the robot is Continue Reading
- 2 Minute Street Clean - Marine Environment - Global citizenship. We are working towards our 8th Green Flag. Our committee did a 2 minute street clean. We found so much litter. After sorting it we decided to graph our results. The item we found most of, was plastic bottles...surprise surprise!! So we are continuing with our: 'The Greener the Bottle Continue Reading
- Full STEAM ahead in 4th class! - We were so lucky to have Mr. Costa come to talk to Ms Healy and Ms Kelleher's 4th class last week. As part of science week our class started a new STEPS engineering project. We completed a quiz to see what type of engineer we would be - mechanical, sound, chemical, electrical or civil to Continue Reading
- Science Week Experiment in Ms. Moylan’s Class - Science Week: Coiscéim – Ms. Moylan’s Class Our student teacher from Spain, Belen, prepared a lovely experiment for our pupils today. She made a shoe box star gazer. We went to our sensory room and turned off all the lights. Belen put the torch in the box and projected stars on to the wall and Continue Reading
- More Heat Investigations in Rang a Trí – Ms Coomey -
- Investigating Heat in 3rd Class -
- Rang a Trí Investigate Heat -