As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Artist of the Month- Well done to our artistic Artists of the Month for January! Continue Reading
- Scratch Coding in Rang a Sé- 'In Sixth class we enjoy using Scratch Junior. Some of us participate in Vex Robotics so it’s easy for us to make an animation. We help others in the class who are unsure. There’s so much you can do on Scratch Junior, I especially like that I can draw my own characters. It’s fun… Continue Reading
- Ready for Take Off!- Ms Healy/Ms Kelleher's Rang IV had lots of fun helping Ms McCall's Junior Infants build their amazing Rocket Ships. Junior Infants led the design and were ably assisted by Rang IV. Lots of fun had by all! Continue Reading
- Snow Storm jar experiment in Ms Moylan’s class- We loved our experiment today!!! This is a very safe and fun experiment and all the pupils were able to participate in the mixing of the materials. Questioning: we had a chat before we started about the materials needed. Predicting: we asked them what they think will happen at the end. Observing: we carefully observed… Continue Reading
- Ms Daly’s class investigates planting conditions for winter bulbs- We planted hyacinth bulbs in compost. We also kept a control bulb that was placed in water only. We discovered that all the bulbs grew and flowered. However the bulb that was placed in water grew much shorter and started to die as the bulb could not live without compost because the roots could not… Continue Reading
- ON Semiconductor donation!- Thanks to a generous donationof €1,000 from ON Semiconductor we have been able to buy 15 snap circuit kits and 5 electromagnet kits for our school. 5th class have been learning about electricity and circuits recently and they have been having great fun making circuits with the new kits. A huge thank you also to… Continue Reading
- Science Club!- A new Science club has started on Friday for some children in 5th class. The children are learning about building and programming robots. Thank you to Ruth, one of our parents, who is taking time to do this activity with the children every Friday! Continue Reading
- Ms Moylan and Ms Clifford’s classes went on a winter walk.- Continue Reading
- Ms Moylan’s class learned about the robin- Continue Reading
- We made plastic!- Remember 5th class attempted to make their own plastic using vinegar & milk? Well it worked!! Here are the finished products, a plastic fish and a plastic heart! Continue Reading