As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- 5th Class Trip to Fota - Continue Reading
- Artist of the Month.🎨🎭 - Congrats to our artists of the month! Check their lovely work. Well done!!! Continue Reading
- Investigating Static Electricity – Mrs O’Sullivan Coisceim - Mrs. O’ Sullivan’s class in Coiscéim investigated how static electricity happens when an electric charge builds up on an item. We learned about the structure of an atom and how it has positive and negative charges. We rubbed a balloon with different materials, cotton, nylon and wool to investigate which material produced the best ‘Static’.… Continue Reading
- Mrs. Scannell’s 6th class - Mrs. Scanell’s 6th class had a bit of fun while learning about the Solar System, Day and Night, the Seasons and some constellations. Watch these aliens as they report back to their home galaxy. https://youtu.be/YkVMQgL_VLI Continue Reading
- Magic Milk Experiment – Ms. Moylan’s class - Our class loved Science Week! Any type of chemical reaction is fun to watch and makes for great hands-on learning! This magic milk science experiment is the perfect experiment as you already have all the items for it in your kitchen! We used milk, food colouring and washing up liquid. We covered the bottom of… Continue Reading
- Science in Ms. Thompson’s class! - A lot of predicting, measuring, recording and analysing took place during our science experiment today! Our aim was to test which material was the best insulator! We had some interesting findings! Continue Reading
- EAL ~ Magical Maths Moments! - Before the Midterm break, Ms. O'Donnell's students celebrated Maths Week in a Halloween-themed classroom! After identifying a myriad of Halloween characters, describing creative Halloween costumes and reciting a spooky play rhyme called "The Haunted House", the children were ready for magical maths challenges! Junior Infants enjoyed participating in multiple active games including ... MATCHING pairs of… Continue Reading
- STEM Expo - Continue Reading
- Fake Blood!! - Today in Rang IV we made fake blood and it tasted good, follow our instructions below! Experiment : Fake Blood! Ingredients: Utensils: Water … Continue Reading
- Ms Clifford’s Nature Maths Trail - This week Ms Clifford's class took on some challenges on an outdoor Maths Trail. We looked for 2D shapes in our environment, did some estimating and counting, some measuring and finally put our creativity into making some amazing pictures from our nature loot! Do you recognise anyone? There's a leaf Monster and bird from the… Continue Reading