As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Rand a Trí Triopolis (underwater city) Experiment - Continue Reading
- Abbvie visit Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh - Continue Reading
- Ms Thompson’s 5th Class Investigates Soil! - Ms Thompson class collected some samples of soil from different places, then tested and made observations on each soil sample. They then compared their findings in class! Continue Reading
- Ingenious Engineers Show in Bunscoil Rinn an Chabhlaigh - As part of the STEPS Engineers prize that 4th class won in March the amazing Scientific Sue visited our school on Monday May the 20th! Every class in the school was able to enjoy her Ingenious Engineers show which taught us about a number of engineers and their wonderful inventions. Children were able to help… Continue Reading
- 4th Class Predator and Prey Board Games - In Ms. Healy and Ms. Kelleher’s 4th Class we made Predator and Prey board games! We really enjoyed making these board games! We were working in groups of one to five and all of our board games were different. Some were printed, some were hand-written. Take a look at a few of our board games!… Continue Reading
- On the hunt for Minibeasts! - Senior Infants were learning all about different minibeasts. They went out in the school garden to see what minibeasts they could find. They looked in damp, dark places like under logs and stones and in the dirt. There were loads of woodlouse hiding under the logs! They also saw worms, slugs, beetles and many more… Continue Reading
- Circles in the Environment - 6th class carried out a Maths trail while studying the circle this week. They went around the school looking for circles in the environment. They found some very interesting circles, I think you'll agree! Continue Reading
- Fun Camera Investigations - 5th class spent some time studying light this year. They looked at the camera and how a camera works. They also made their own pin hole cameras. Ronan and Cathal wrote about how they made them and the class took loads of photos! They were delighted when they tested them and realised that all of… Continue Reading
- 6th Class-Connecting the dots (well… circles!) STEAM - Our latest STEAM exploration was inspired by 'Squares with Concentric Circles' by Wassily Kandinsky. Science helped us to explore our environment for concentric circles. Technology was used to design our own circle with mathematical equipment. We also photographed concentric circles around the school and presented these to the class. Engineering skills were used to construct… Continue Reading
- 4th Class Showcase their winning STEM projects! - Rang IV were given the opportunity during Engineer's week to present their STEM projects to the Engineer's week ambassador Orla Murphy. Orla was an eager listener and had plenty of questions at the end! In addition to this Orla did a presentation for the children all about her job as an engineer, how she started… Continue Reading