As a whole school we are always looking at the work we do and aim to make small changes which will lead to better teaching, learning and outcomes for pupils. This year 2018/19 we have decided to focus on Science and getting our students to think scientifically though exploration and discovery. The whole focus comes under the term STEAM which is Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Maths. We’ll be aiming to incorporate all these things in scientific activities!
Some of the things happening so far…
- Surveys sent to parents and to teachers for their input.
- Donation of €1000 from a parent in the school on behalf of ON Semiconductor
- Staff Training from Discover Primary Science and Maths (check out their website at www.sfi.ie)
- ‘Designer Minds’ have set up an after school club in the school… keep an eye out if you’re interested!
- Rang III and IV had a visit from a scientist and brought petri dishes home full to watch bacteria grow!
- Parents’ Council will be offering this year’s fundraising proceeds to improve our Scientific resources in the classroom
- VEX Robotics Club has started! They will be building a robot, programming it and getting it to perform tasks on an obstacle course… against other schools!
Keep an eye on this page for updates and please get in touch if you have an idea that you can share with us!
- Ms. Moylan’s Class – Brain Gym - We have started our Brain Gym program every morning. The Brain Gym program is made up of different activities, along with several other movement-based techniques that help address balance, posture, and coordination skills associated with daily life success. Synchronize your system for better comprehension, focus, organization, communication, and emotional health. Continue Reading
- Science Week 2019 - Continue Reading
- Messy hands make great work! - Isabelle in Ms de Rís's class was delighted when her granny Máiréad came to visit. An accomplished artist, Máiréad opened the pupils' eyes to the medium of charcoal. Pupils enjoyed experimenting with different ways of using charcoal. The fact that it was messy was an added bonus! Thanks so much to Máiréad for sharing her… Continue Reading
- Science Experiment:The Fire Triangle. - Mrs. Scannell's 6th class explored The Fire Triangle during Science https://youtu.be/ZhmzZZp-cfc Continue Reading
- Maths Week in Ms Murphy’s 5th Class - colin,dara and keelan Continue Reading
- Ms. Thompson’s amateur poets. - Writing poems in Ms. Thompson’s 5th class! Continue Reading
- 5th Class Trip to Fota - Continue Reading
- Artist of the Month.🎨🎭 - Congrats to our artists of the month! Check their lovely work. Well done!!! Continue Reading
- Investigating Static Electricity – Mrs O’Sullivan Coisceim - Mrs. O’ Sullivan’s class in Coiscéim investigated how static electricity happens when an electric charge builds up on an item. We learned about the structure of an atom and how it has positive and negative charges. We rubbed a balloon with different materials, cotton, nylon and wool to investigate which material produced the best ‘Static’.… Continue Reading
- Mrs. Scannell’s 6th class - Mrs. Scanell’s 6th class had a bit of fun while learning about the Solar System, Day and Night, the Seasons and some constellations. Watch these aliens as they report back to their home galaxy. https://youtu.be/YkVMQgL_VLI Continue Reading